TESOL/TESL/TEFL/EFL/ESOL/ESL Resources :: View topic - Task-based language learning:Advantages and disadvantages
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Task-based language learning:Advantages and disadvantages View next topic
View previous topic
cobala
 Professional
 Professional

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 - 11:51 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Advantages
Task-based learning is advantageous to the student because it is more student-centered, allows for more meaningful communication, and often provides for practical extra-linguistic skill building. Although the teacher may present language in the pre-task, the students are ultimately free to use what grammar constructs and vocabulary they want. This allows them to use all the language they know and are learning, rather than just the 'target language' of the lesson. Furthermore, as the tasks are likely to be familiar to the students (eg: visiting the doctor), students are more likely to be engaged, which may further motivate them in their language learning.

Disadvantages
There have been criticisms that task-based learning is not appropriate as the foundation of a class for beginning students. Others claim that students are only exposed to certain forms of language, and are being neglected of others, such as discussion or debate. Teachers may want to keep these in mind when designing a task-based learning lesson plan.
Rolling Eyes
senvang
 Senior
 Senior

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 - 03:21 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Surprised I can see that all of the methods we already learnt also have advantages and disadvantages.
I see your point.
Actually, with task-based, students are more active because they always offer their activities first.Then, teachers get the information, and add their contribution into the activities to make it perfect and profestional.
On the other hand, It's difficulot for teachers to evaluate the result because there will not have the fixed criteria for the activities of each individual, each group.It's my opinion. Rolling Eyes
moony_tran_2806
 Professional
 Professional

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 - 10:15 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

In my opinion,TBL method is so good!it increases sts' interest!As you know, when sts are interested in the lessons,they will learn far better!
However,to weak sts,it's not a good way at all.........!they will be abandoned in class!
Furthermore.um.............the content of our test system requires more in writing,grammar.......so this method cant afford it!.....TBL is just used for language center class,or some periods in school!it's limited!
pemailun
 Professional
 Professional

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2009 - 12:12 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

in my opinion, TBL has its advantages as well as its drawbacks.However, it's not that we can hardly apply this method in teaching and learning. Except applying it easily in some language centres,as CLT teacher we should be more flexible in teaching in class.TBL can be applied if T knows how to manage the time and activities in class.T can combine teaching reading or speaking by using problem-solving: give sts questions or problem related to what they will read about, give them handouts to save time,ask them to read the text at home to prepare some ideas, give them time to prepare ideas for the task and let them produce it in a limited time ect. Some people may wonder how this way works well with the mixed-class.But I think it depends on the T who designs the task in order to be appropriate the sts' levels.T should be more creative.
nguyenthiquynh
 Professional
 Professional

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 - 12:21 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

I get your point. in my opinion, task- based learning have changges and benefits:

challenges
- require responsibility, self- management and interpersonal skills
- have communications-technology literacy skills and life skills.
- demand teamwork and leadership
- time-comsuming
benefits:
- develop collaboration among students
- students can learn from their friends and draw their own experiences
- critical thinking.
nguyenminhhoa
 Junior
 Junior

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 - 02:54 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

I think TBL is so great. It encourages sts to improve some skills such as making decision, problem-solving, communication, team work during the task,ect. Moreover, the authetic materials are useful for them to relate what they learn with real life, sts are more engaged in the lesson and are likely to produce the language in a natural way.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic